Friday, May 21, 2010

May 21st : Lazarus

Go do what ever you want to do.

These were the words that came out of my wife's mouth to me just a few hours ago after yet another let-down in what seems to be an ever-lasting job search.

Only my wife could know what I needed at that moment.  She didn't strike blasphemy against the employer that passed on me nor did she throw a pity party.  She saw my disappointment and addressed it by bringing clarity to the crappy situation. For as much as she left it open for me to do what ever I wanted to do - she was really telling me to simply stand up, dust myself off and get back into the ring. She's like my Mick - but beautiful...and a woman and not Burgess Meredith. Fortunately, she didn't make me chase a chicken in the backyard.

                                         Click On Picture

What did I want to do?  Run. And run I did in my short running shorts (the one's my wife hates), my IPOD, Nike DriFit shirt (The one that makes me look very fine).
I ran till I couldn't run anymore. It wasn't a Gump-like run but enough to re-focus me. Maybe I should rethink the shorts.


Along my run, several songs played.  Oddly enough, the perfect array of songs played in shuffle mode relating perfectly to my search and my low moment earlier. You all know what I am talking about. Like in any romantic comedy where the guy that just broke up with his girlfriend is in his car and he can't find anything on the radio except love song after love song.

Only in my case - the songs were inspirational like the rad synthesizer background music in Rocky IV when he climbed the mountain. Rad - look it up if you were born after 1989.
Rather than crying over a failed relationship like the saps in the movies,  I was immersed with an urgency to act. One after the other, the songs directed me to organize my thoughts and the next steps I would take as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning when I would wake. It was like I was in my own perfect Nike or Gatorade commercial with how the songs kept playing one after another with underlying messages of drive and optimism. Cheesy I know, but it happened. I am sure that many of you have been in the same place.  That place when you have that unexpected almost angelic window when a number of your favorite songs all play right in a row or several good things happen to you all at once. I was having one of these moments.

A little taste of my angelic song shuffle:

Bruce Hornsby: The Way It Is - I say no to Bruce's notion.  There will be no settling as far as I am concerned.  None the less, a wonderful piano interlude that motivates.

Van Halen: Dreams - I say yes to this and one day I too will fly with the Blue Angels. Seriously, a great song when you need a pick up. Forget "I can't Drive 55."  This is Sammy's best stuff.

Kings of Leon: Use Somebody -  I think this everyday but have come to the conclusion that' s it's on me to make it happen. If you don't listen to the radio you can regain an appreciation for this song.

Christopher Cross: Sailing - Best-ever yacht rock! Yes, It's not that far down to paradise with some effort.

Peter Gabriel: Solsbury Hill - "My life was in a rut.  My heart is going boom, boom, boom.  Grab Your things I'm gonna take you home."  Meaning: The hunt is long and hard but good will come of it soon.

Pearl Jam: Let Me Sleep - "When I was a kid, oh how magic it seemed." This perspective is something I believe everyone must maintain on their journey to finding what they want to do.

The Hours: Ali In The Jungle - Yeah, it's that song in the Gatorade commercial but a damn good song.  All the greats in history that never conceded to defeat or roadblocks. The greatest comeback since Lazarus.

The Hours go on to sing in their song Ali In The Jungle:
It's, not, how you start, it's how you finish,
And it's, not, where you're from, it's where you're at,
Everybody gets knocked down,
Everybody gets knocked down,
How quick are you gonna' get up?
How quick are you gonna' get up?
Everybody gets knocked down,
Everybody gets knocked down,
How quick are you gonna' get up?
Just how are you gonna' get up?
Like Ali in the jungle,
Like Nelson in jail,
Like Simpson on the mountain,
With odds like that, they were bound to fail
Like Keller in the darkness,
Like Adam's in the dark,
Like Ludwig Van, how I loved that man, well the guy went deaf and didn't give a fuck, no...
No, no, no
It's, not, where you are, It's where you're going,
Where are you going?
And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now,
What are you doing, now?
Everybody gets knocked down,
Everybody gets knocked down,
How quick are you gonna' get up?
How quick are you gonna' get up, now?
Everybody gets knocked down,
Everybody gets knocked down,
How quick are you gonna' get up?
Just how are you gonna' get up?
Like Ali in the jungle,
Like Nelson in jail,
Like Simpson on the mountain,
Well with odds like that, they were bound to fail
Like Keller in the darkness,
Like Adam's in the dark,
Like Ludwig Van, how I loved that man, well the guy went deaf and didn't give a fuck, no...
Oooh, ooh, ooh
No, no, no
Oooh, ooh, ooh
No, no, no
Oooh, ooh, ooh
It's the greatest comeback since Lazarus,
The greatest comeback since Lazarus,
It's the greatest comeback since Lazarus,
The greatest comeback since Lazarus,
It's the greatest comeback since Lazarus,
The greatest comeback since Lazarus,
The greatest comeback since Lazarus,
The greatest comeback...


Interesting story about that guy named Lazarus. Follower of Jesus and brother of Mary. Lazarus falls to be on his death-bed.  Recovery: 0%. Jesus proclaims that he who believes shall live even in death. Long story short: four days dead, J.C. comes to his tomb. Lazarus is resurrected.  That my friends is beating the odds.

Now, I am not an over-the-top religious guy, but I do believe in a higher power. Only my higher power (J.C.) is a bit more up-to-date.  I believe he's got a Facebook profile and he Tweets under the name J.Cweet.

With the ridonculous song shuffle that was happening to me,  I figured why not stop and look up to talk to the big guy? So I did. Not out loud. That would make me to look like I lived in Crazy Town. Don't tell me you all haven't done this from time to time. Lottery tickets...semi-borderline atheists....hmmm?

My question to the big guy tonight while on my run was simple.  Dude....how many more times can I be kicked down and have to get back up?  And then my bromacho J.C. spoke.  At least I think so.

Ali In the Jungle began playing.
 
Was it Mary's portrait on a piece of toast in Brazil?  Not exactly.  But a sign none-the-less with how my music tonight - song after song provided me direction and focus to continue the good fight.  Yeah...I got knocked down again tonight. As many others probably did today with their search.

My question to myself when I was done with my run tonight: How quickly you gonna get up?

Answer: Immediately and as many times as it takes to land what I am meant to do.  

You might all be asking what my meant to do is exactly?

Make you all a deal.  Let's get some coffee and I will walk you through it. My calendar is open for meeting as many people as possible. Did you know that 78% of all jobs acquired are because of whom you know? 

My goal - get to know as many of you as possible.

I give a big Bless This out to all y'all comeback kids that are continuing everyday to get back up after being knocked down on your search for employment.

3 comments:

  1. Patrick, you possess an energy and an insight that very few have. Keep your head up and all will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If any of you are reading this over and over like I am you have to inspired. What a great man and even better friend. BTG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best ever. Well said Brock.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete